Can Moldavite Go In Water? (Yes, But…)

Yes, moldavite can go in water. However, we don’t recommend it.

Read on, and we’ll explain.

Why Can Moldavite Go In Water? (Or Not?)

Moldavite can go in water because it is a relatively hard stone (5-7 on the Moh’s scale) and it is not known to be water soluble.

This is in direct contrast to materials like selenite, which dissolves slowly when placed in water.

Compare also malachite (which is not the same as moldavite), which is full of copper.

The copper in malachite reacts with water to produce a toxic gas (in small amounts).

Other materials react chemically with the water in obvious ways.

Because moldavite holds up well, people frequently wear it while swimming and bathing.

However, keep in mind (especially with jewelry) that even though the moldavite can go in the water and come out okay, it doesn’t mean that the rest of the stones or the setting will hold up.

If Moldavite Can Safely Go In Water, Why Don’t You Recommend It?

Just because you can put a stone or crystal in water, it doesn’t mean you should.

Water tends to be destructive to precious stones and crystals, starting at the molecular level.

When you place a material in water, the water molecules seek out every place it can go, including microscopic fissures in the crystal.

Every stone has cracks that you can’t see with your naked eye.

Over time, as water molecules get into those cracks more and more, those cracks slowly widen.

As the owner of the stone, you might not notice those cracks.

But eventually the stone can crack in a big way or break apart.

You might not even connect up the water baths with the damaged stone.

Further, even if the stone doesn’t break apart, as those tiny cracks widen, the outer finish of the stone can change.

As light is refracted in different ways, the stone may appear less shiny, or the colors less vibrant.

Water will also take off commercial polishes which make the rock look extra shiny and beautiful, leaving a dull stone behind.

Further, if the commercial polish is tinted, the stone may no longer ever be the same color.

No matter of grinding will return the stone to a tinted color (without the tinted product).

Finally, when stones containing traces of metals are placed in water a lot, those metals can start to rust.

This can make a stone look dull, yellowish, or brownish/red spots/streaks can develop.

With rust, as it can go deep into the surface of the material, it may be really difficult to clean up the yellowing to return it to its previous color, even using CLR to try and remove the rust stains.

This is why even though moldavite can go in water, we don’t recommend that you soak it extensively.

How To Protect Moldavite From Water Damage

As we said before, the best way to avoid water damage to your moldavite is to avoid soaking it in water.

We also recommend against cleansing moldavite in salt water, as the salt in the water can speed up the damage caused by water.

If you want to physically clean moldavite with water, there’s no harm in rinsing it in water.

But rather than soaking it, rinse it briefly and then buff it dry with a soft cloth.

Then, before you put it away or wear it again, let it sit in a warm and dry spot for a while, to make sure that all of the water (especially the water that you can’t see) has a chance to evaporate and dry out.

Flip it over a few times as it dries.

The same is true if you decide to wear the material while swimming or bathing.

Make sure to buff the piece and let it air dry sufficiently.

If you do put your moldavite in water a lot, make sure to take extra care of it physically.

Try to avoid dropping it or letting it crash into other substances or stones, (or even sleeping with moldavite, as the stone can end up falling off the bed), in case cracks have or are developed.

Want to learn more about the use, care of, and properties of stones and crystals? Check out our Crystals Knowledge area for our latest articles.